Intelligent copywriting for smart business.
Some might say that I take some words and push them about a bit. But there’s more to copywriting than polished prose, a string of buzzwords, a catchy headline or a clever turn of phrase. Good copy should be straightforward without being too simple, clever without being smug, lively without being breathless.
Each morning, I don’t just start typing. The ability to write engaging and persuasive copy isn’t something that comes on tap or just falls off the end of a production line. It relies on considered thinking, choosing the right words, getting them in the right order, at the right moment.
Whether I’m writing 100-pages of web content for a global pharmaceutical giant, creating a strapline for a new range of products or a putting together a piece of direct mail for a local crafts centre, what doesn’t change is the process – one that’ served me, and my clients, well for over 25 years.
- Like most good things, it starts with a Conversation – talking, listening, questioning and understanding are as important as writing. Getting to know you, what makes you tick, your objectives, and who your clients or customers are, will enable me to determine the scope of the project.
- I’ll then send you a Quote. I prefer to charge on a project basis, giving you a fixed cost before I start. This charge is based on my experience of similar projects and the time I think it will take to complete. It also means that from the start you know exactly what it’s going to cost.
- Next, I’ll ask you to complete an in-depth Copywriting Brief, the answers to which will give me the detailed information I need. I’ll also do my own research and telephone interviews will be undertaken as required your goals, your customers’ motivations and the call to action.
- I offer a balance of clear thinking and sharp writing (and the odd bit of daydreaming and doodling). I will use the information provided by you together with research of my own to complete the First Draft. This will be supplied to you as a Microsoft Word file.
- We then enter into a Review cycle. This is your opportunity to make any comments and ask for any changes you want making. Based on your feedback, I’ll provide a second draft which will hopefully have incorporated your feedback and within reason, we can continue to tweak until you’re happy.
- Once you’re satisfied with the work I will ask you to confirm your approval by email. Then. And only then, I will then send you an Invoice for the work. All invoices are sent electronically, unless agreed otherwise, and are payable within 14 days of receipt.
A copy of my Terms of Business can be downloaded here.
“Writing is easy. All you have to do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.”